DSSF - HTML/CSS and WordPress
DSSF - HTML/CSS and WordPress Online
Today, we will take a look at the basic building blocks of any website: HTML and CSS. We will pull apart a few websites to see what makes them tick. Then, we will take a look at WordPress, a content management system that powers over 1/3 of the world's websites. Today's session is not going to teach you how to code, but it will give you some experience thinking through what makes websites work.
Before the Workshop
- Create a Gettysburg Sites domain and install an SSL certificate using the DH Toolkit tutorial. Remember, what you use for the Choose your Domain field will remain part of your Sites URL no matter what you use it for (example: rmiessle.sites.gettysburg.edu)
- Review the DH Toolkit tutorial for WordPress to get a general idea of how WordPress works as a content management system.
- Watch the following short videos on Don't Fear the Internet:
- Take the Khan Academy Intro to HTML/CSS course (to start, we recommend only doing the Intro to HTML, Intro to CSS, More HTML tags, and CSS text properties lessons, but feel free to do more). You may want to spread this out during the week, but you will want to complete it by the end of the week, at least.
- Monday, June 14, 2021
- 10:00am - 12:00pm
- Time Zone:
- Eastern Time - US & Canada (change)
- This is an online event. Event URL will be sent via registration email.